Nausea can be the hardest part of treatment. You have many sickness medications that may not work as well as you hoped, but there are a few things you can do to help ease this side effect.
Lemon juice or lemonade are good remedies for nausea because lemons contain neutralising acids, which form bicarbonates, compounds that help relieve nausea. The juice from the lemons stir up the saliva in your mouth, also helping to relieve nausea and dry mouth symptoms.
Try out these different tips to see which works best for you:
- Lemon water - Just squeeze a couple of drops off lemon into a glass of water. You can also try this hot with grated ginger to create a nausea relief tea.
- Lemonade is an easy way to take lemons when you feel sick. Consider adding ginger into the lemonade to boost its anti-nausea effects.
- Try lemon flavoured sweets. Helps to focus your brain on flavour, rather than the nausea. Also great for when having chemo to keep any weird tastes at bay.
- Aromatherapy with lemon essential oil or simply cut a lemon in half and inhale every time you feel sick. Or take a small bite.
- Rinsing the mouth with lemon water. This will help create a sour flavour in the mouth, without having to consume anything.